Monday, July 23, 2012

Heartstrings 3.0: lost voice

“…I am reminded how many preconceived misconceptions we have to face in the Muslim world as Westerners. We have to go the extra mile to overcome these preconceived ideas so as to remove as many stumbling blocks as we can. So I think that we need to do all we can to learn from the people how to live in their culture as insiders, with an understanding of their language and their culture, so that we are better equipped to handle the many challenges we face. We also need to ask God to give us help in every situation to have the right words and the right response.”Miniskirts, Mothers, & Muslims by Christine A. Mallouhi

This is something my heart has been feeling since I decided to go on this crazy adventure overseas but I have never quite figured out how to express it in the vocal form myself. This is a prayer I have for not only myself, but for all of those who are going with me and who are currently there. May we all seek God before speaking and acting so as to bring a change of opinion to a culture that has a pretty bad viewpoint of what true Christianity is about. May our hearts and minds me open to His teaching and words over the next few years. May we be receptive to each person around us—no matter what our different beliefs are. May we love them the way that Christ loves us.

It’s amazing to think that it’s only been a few short months since I took this job and over the course of the past few weeks, I can feel my heart changing for these people and their country. I find myself wanting to stand up for people I have never met before and respecting a culture that appears on the outside to be so far from who I am. I will never take their beliefs and practices as my own, but I can at least head over there with respect for them… just as I hope they have respect for me as a Christian.  

On a lighter note, I had a wonderful weekend spent with some extended family. My friend, Fernando, and his family took me out to Texas Roadhouse (where I almost took home a basket of rolls to freeze and take with me on the plane) for a good-bye dinner. It was such a sweet gesture and meant a lot to me.

Speaking of the little Fernandez clan (be prepared to be jealous): look at what I get to spend time with and receive night-night kisses from every night (and fun afternoons where we pretend it’s night-night time just so I can get kisses) until I leave.

issac1issac2

My main little man, Issac. I’m loving every second I get to spend with him and cherishing the few moments I get to hold him as he falls asleep for a nap. Gonna miss this little guy and his growing little family. I even video-taped him and his mama playing so that if I get a little home sick, I can hear his sweet little laugh 6,000 miles away.

1 comment:

  1. I'm on your blog!!! We will miss you. They are lucky to have you. When you find out about texting let me know. I won't text you until you find out. Be careful
    We love yah!

    ReplyDelete