Monday, June 24, 2013

Heartstrings 41.0: the key to every Texas girl's heart... meat and potatoes!


A post dedicated to the amazing food my body has taken in over the past week. As I've written before, work is quite slow nowadays. So basically, we come late and leave early to school and sit around chatting and watching movies. It's a hard life I live now... not quite as boring as I was expecting it to be, but there is still time for boredom to settle in.

One of our slow days, Rimi and I decided to leave early and go shopping. But first, we must eat. We found a new place in Al Wahda Mall called Paul's and decided to try it on for size. It's a little pricey, but it was our end of the week treat (and it wasn't too much longer before payday!)

I decided to go with a chicken dish (I really must start remembering the names of the food I try - or at least take a picture of it since I never can remember these fancy dish names). The chicken was breaded with almonds and was stuffed with a light creamy cheese sauce in the middle. It was served with a raspberry sauce (that I didn't try because I am not a fan of raspberries). The carrots, green beans, and mashed potatoes were delish... asparagus was a little juicy for eating and overcooked a tad. But all in all, the meal went over well with my taste buds.


The next day I almost entered a food coma from all the yummy goodness I inhaled at the Intercontinental Hotel. 

With most of us only having a few weeks left here in the UAE until we head our separate ways and travel home or explore the world; my friends and I met up for our first brunching experience in the UAE. Yep, that's right... first brunch. For those of you back home, a Friday brunch is how most people spend their weekends as you can get all you can eat/drink for 4 hours. If you drink, it's totally worth the price, I suppose. We arrived around noon and ate non stop until 4:30 pm. Oh my word, I have never in my life eaten so much food in one sitting! I will never attend another brunch other then the one at the Intercon. Here is a shot of the pasta station (on the left) where they will make risotto, spaghetti, pizza, or whatever your inner Italian is feeling at that moment. On the right is a portion of the Belgian Cafe menu featuring salmons, veggies, and things of that nature.


I decided on my first go, I would get my healthy foods in because I knew I wouldn't save room for later. So I made a mini spinach salad with corn and tomatoes, threw some strawberries and grapes on my plate, and then headed for the good stuff; Chamas' chicken and beef sirloin... Chamas is hands-down my favorite restaurant in Abu Dhabi Doo... it's a Brazilian place and the meat is to die for, melt in your mouth goodness.


After letting the sirloin settle in my tummy, I went across the way to the Yacht Club - which specializes in fancy seafood like sushi, oysters, clams, (none of which I'm too fond of). On the way I found my favorite station of the afternoon... the potato station. Where they serve any and all varieties/forms of potatoes from fries, wedges, scalloped, mashed, herb roasted, etc. On this plate, I decided to get some Asian chicken/noodle concoction, tried a pork rib (yes, they serve pork products at this brunch - unheard of here in the UAE), Belgium Cafe fries (best in AD as well), mashed potatoes, jumbo shrimp (that I ate almost all of while I waited behind the masses at the potato station), and to finish off, some German potato salad.  The chicken/noodle stuff was really good... didn't care for the pork rib (too tough for my liking but that could have something to do with my partiality for Chamas' beef), of course the potatoes were good, as was the shrimp.


Round Three took a little convincing myself to do... I knew I didn't have room if I wanted to maintain a level of comfort, but I decided that it didn't matter and went for it. I headed back to the wonderful potato station for some scalloped potatoes, snagged me a mini hamburger and grilled broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, threw some grilled salmon and beef tips on my plate. Then went back to Chamas for some more beef tenderloin that was every Texans dream cut.


I finished the afternoon off with a little chocolate mousse cake (didn't take a picture of that cause it was off my plate as fast as it was put on there! lol). All in all, if you're ever in Abu Dhabi and need a good place to brunch, I highly recommend this place.

As the ladies and I concluded during our four hours of laughter and discussions, this was one of our favorite memories in Abu Dhabi... so thanks to Kalli, Cathy, and Jackie for the wonderful experience - can't wait to live lavishly with you ladies again!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment