Sunday, June 9, 2013

Heartstrings 40.0: Welp, that's all folks...

As my first year has almost officially ended (aka... the kids have just stopped coming to school and I now spend my days sitting around chatting with the co-workers and watching movies/tv series) I thought I should post some moments from the last 2 weeks of school - bulleted of course, cause I can't be bothered to write complete sentences :)
  • Reviewing rooms in the house, one boy yelled out, "CHICKEN," when I asked what the name of the kitchen was. 
  • Got handed a note from sweet little Abdulla Tayef that said, "I love you," aww...
  • Learned-ish the words for living room, kitchen, bathroom, and bedroom in Arabic.
  • Got numerous, "thank you's," from the boys for downloading Ben 10 and Transformers to show in class (should be thanking THEM cause that allowed me to enter their grades instead of having to stay after school or work on them at home).
  • Had about 6 boys from one class show up last Tuesday because they wanted to play and liked Ms. Krista
  • Planned lots of my vacation whilst the boys worked/played/I had free periods off
Not too many things happened seeing as I had tonsillitis and missed 3 days one work week, then the next week had a sore throat from the same bacteria (which went into my eye this weekend! Can't get rid of this bugger, streptococcus!) That tonsillitis was a mess... haven't had it since I was younger and it's a pain. Spent most of my days/nights on my coach afraid to swallow and with a fever. Had to go to the hospital where they gave me an IV to reduce my fever and injected my first round of antibiotics (and 4 hours later, my fever was back). Got better that weekend and then BAM! Sore throat from the same stuff and was back to fearing the swallowing thing. Luckily, that only lasted a few days. Just had a few days left after that with the boys before they were off...

It's a very strange thought to be finished teaching the boys this year. Not a typical end of the school year here in the UAE as the boys just drop off like flies. I don't think I even got the chance to say goodbye to any of them or wish them a good holiday. You just never saw them again... and the boys didn't care to come say bye to you as it isn't in their culture to be "sentimental" that way. No end of the year party or activities set up by the school... No summer games played in the classroom or autograph/yearbook signing happening... No gifts from any of the kids... might have gotten 2-3 "thank you teacher," from the parents.

Our new official work week times are 8:00-12:30 every day... so basically, I will now be paid to sit around and catch up on Homeland and if there is anything else you feel I should be watching/catching up on; send me a message and let me know and I'll get right on it! Well, after Homeland :)

4 more weeks until I am Stateside! Very exciting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment