Friday, February 15, 2013

Heartstrings 30.0: I miss the south!

Last night I really missed Texas for some strange reason. I found myself watching The Last Song on tv while I was waiting for a few friends to finish with their trip to Ikea. I found myself enjoying the southern-ness of the movie and then watched Reba on her new show to get more southern-ness into my life. I miss the yes ma'am, no sir, slow pace in life, and just plain ole twang! I'm about this close to going to Dubai just to go to Texas Roadhouse! :)

This week is going to be a big week for me... I have my final observation on Tuesday. It's supposed to be an English lesson so I'll have to come up with something this weekend for it. I'm supposed to have 44 student portfolio's done in a binder as well as my teaching portfolio. Not sure if I'll have all that goodness finished in time; but we shall see.

Speaking of Dubai, I went there last weekend with my friend, Cathy. It was loads of fun (and firsts) for me. Here are my firsts I experienced last weekend:
  1. tried Indian chicken (wasn't as spicy as I was expecting!)
  2. ate Korean food (it was really good... I picked up the art form of chopsticks quickly!)
  3. sang karaoke for 4 hours (my family would be proud, I sang Sweet Home Alabama and attempted Walk This Way--did much better when I wasn't reading the screen.)
  4. ate some form of Indian food I did not know (surprisingly, it wasn't bad)
  5. stayed out until 2 am (paid for it the next day!)
I was the only American at dinner and at karaoke... it was a new feeling for me. We met up with Cathy's friend, Jo, to celebrate her new job in Dubai with some of her friends--all who happen to be British. There were a couple of ladies there that were lawyers and asked some pretty funny questions about Texas. They asked me if I wore uniforms to school, if it was "cool" to be a cheerleader, and then finally... they asked if high school in America was like the movie Clueless. (I got a big kick out of this question). Then they asked about the death penalty and if the Texas Chainsaw Massacre really did happen. Gotta love the Brits! Ever so amusing! 

This week had it's moments of ups and downs in the classroom... my allergies started acting up after leaving Dubai so I didn't get much sleep for the first few nights of the week. I was a tad less patient with some of the boys; but nothing they couldn't handle! One of them in the middle of teaching told me to "wait a minute," as he got up and walked over to another boys desk to talk. So I made him and a boy who laughed stay in at foosa (recess).

We finally started reading books in class (I got a document camera--sort of like an Elmo for all you teachers back in Texas, but not as fancy). The book is about dogs... one of my littles named Salem raised his hand and said, "Ms. I go to America, and in America, I see dogs everywhere!" I couldn't help but laugh because it's true. I then proceeded to tell them about how sometimes dogs wear clothes in America when it is cold outside (I had been showing them the snow in the East when we do the weather). They loved that bit of information.

Hope you guys are having a good week back home! Not too much longer before spring break will be here. I'm so ready--as we all are. I'm thinking about heading to Thailand for 10 days to relax on a beach, ride some elephants, and do some fun water things!

No comments:

Post a Comment