Monday, August 20, 2012

heartstrings 7.0: Eid Celebrations

Side-post to start off today: If I were back home in Texas, today would officially be my first day back to work. So to all my friends over in Huntsville and surrounding areas, hope you had a lovely first day back. I still have until the 27th until I report back for orientation. 

The last few days have been very chill for me. I have stayed pretty much in the hotel and only ventured out for a few select things. Refilled my minutes since I spent them all talking to Nikki last night, ran some errands for food/laundry, watched the end of Water for Elephants (today is only the second day I have turned on the television), and a documentary on Marion Jones, and went to hang out with my new friend Maria. It's been very nice and most importantly, cheap! Not a bad way to spend your afternoons... what do you think?


I spent yesterday with a group of lovely ladies and just had a wonderful time. I now have a new Jamaican friend, Leela, who is a youngin' but her body is feeling like a 100 years old. I have a new "sexy Brit" friend named Cathy whom I just adore. And a fellow country-woman from Houston named Khadijah that makes me laugh so hard I hurt. We shared lots of laughs, played games, and shared some good stories yesterday. After dinner and some ice cream at Pinkberry, we decided to drag Khadijah out with us to celebrate the Eid festivities at the Khalidiya Mall. After trying to pronounce the mall's name correctly the entire cab ride and cracking up over mispronunciations--the cab driver kicked us to the curb (to avoid traffic) and we set off inside. 

It was beautifully decorated on the inside of the mall. Here are a couple of pictures to show how elaborate and stunning it was:

outside the mall which lights up purple as well
inside the mall at 10:00 at night... yes, that's right PM.

We goofed off, took pictures, and wondered around the mall... total tourists here. I'm sure the locals were like, "be quiet, get out of the way, and take your pictures somewhere else please..." Some man even told us to do something with Khadijah because her purse bumped into him. We laughed it off because we couldn't really understand what he was saying.


look up ladies! 


"get out the way..." Khadijah likes to be the center of attention ;)
Whilst roaming the mall we ran into some of my sweet Houstonian folks who  were getting some henna done. The lot got some henna from a local Emirati woman who was pretty awesome. She does henna, makes gorgeous dresses from fabric, and will even design an abaya for you. She is a divorced woman who has been on TV for her designs. Unheard of for the women here... she would eventually like to move to the USA and she's not particularly picky about where in the US she should go. Khadijah and I recommended Texas :)

Fadaah free-handing Angel's henna
My Maria getting her henna done up!
Cathy's henna as it's been applied
The sexy Brit--according to the McDonald's lady
After queuing for a long while and chatting with Fadaah, we were finally finished with the Eid celebrations--which aren't really celebrations. To compare Eid to a holiday we celebrate would be like saying Christmas back home. The people stay home and exchange gifts, give money to the children, feast, and go to the mosque. They wish their neighbors well and spend time "repenting" as we would say. It's a festive time for the people here in the UAE and gives them a reason to get all dolled up and enjoy time with their families. 

As our night ended, we set out to find the death-cab... or taxi. It's crazy here y'all... they weave in and out like it's nothing. Been some close calls in some of the taxi's I have been in, but no accidents as of yet. It's a wonder their roads aren't flooded with more emergency responses... it's a quick exchange of info and on their way if there is an accident. Here is how the local children hail a taxi (and I wouldn't recommend finding your own this way): 

Middle of the lane taxi call... not a smart way to find a safe ride home.
Well, I am off to bed... I'm gonna attempt an early-ish wake up to hit the gym with Jen in the morning. G'night from Abu Dhabi (and good afternoon to y'all that are stateside).  

No comments:

Post a Comment