Thursday, May 30, 2013

Heartstrings 38.0: Poda & Luk Yim lovin', not-so-much massage

After a nice short flight from Bangkok to Krabi, we hired a taxi to take us to our hotel in Ao Nang. We asked the lady who checked us in for a recommendation to eat around the hotel... her response, "I would not eat near here." So needless to say, we got in a tuk-tuk and headed into town. Unsure of what to eat, we ended up at TJ's Bar for some nachos and a burger for me. Met a nice Swedish bar tender who helped us figure out where to eat from that night on. Talked to a Brazilian couple who were on holiday from their masters studies in Chicago. We enjoyed our first night (some a LOT more then others as an impromptu karaoke moment happened and I was given the task of providing lyrics to Journey's Don't Stop Believing. We left the bar and headed out into the streets of Ao Nang... I chatted up a lovely Aussie couple while Sonia danced the night away in the streets. The husband just so happened to celebrate his birthday a day after mine... and they gave us a suggestion of where to head on our first full day in the island region. We finally got Sonia to stop dancing and eventually made our way back to the hotel.

The next morning, we woke up, ate breakfast, and hopped in a tuk-tuk to head to the pier. We took the Aussie's advice and booked a ticket on a longboat out to Poda Island. It was a 25 minute ride and when we got there the captain told us that we'd leave at 3pm. We had the whole day in paradise! The island was so quite and stunning. We swam with the fish (the girls got nibbled on) and I took a stroll around the island. I learned that I could definitely be classified now as someone who "enjoys long walks on the beach..." While walking along and listening to music, a local boy ran by me... as he passed he yelled out, "I miss you!" I literally laughed out loud... couldn't keep it in. I enjoyed my serene moments on the beach to myself before heading back to eat lunch. We were definitely spoiled with such a lovely place to spend our first island adventure. I would definitely recommend this quiet area to people who are visiting. Take a longboat out... there are tours that stop on and off throughout the day, but this place is definitely a keeper. Not much tourism (only one bathroom on the island) and there's hiking trails along the inside of the island.





When we left the island, we decided we would eat dinner at one of the spots the Swedish lady recommended. We headed to Luk Yim (which we returned to quite frequently because it was that good.) I had my hand at Beef Panang this time, while the others tried the Chicken Panang and Green Curry.


After leaving dinner, we decided to give a massage a go. Keep in mind, I was already horribly sunburned from my day at Poda. When the lady looked at my back, she asked me if I was sure that I wanted the massage. I told her we'd try it... so I did. All in all, I didn't care too much for the whole experience. About the only part I really enjoyed was the oil massage. They did a lot of popping of the back, massaged with a towel over your body, the lady climbed on top of me and did some more weird popping stuff, she continued with a yoga/pilates move holding your arms behind you and pulling your torso up, and what I can only describe as a round-about popping of the back. Every moment of the experience, I was left wondering, "what's she gonna do to me next?" which can make your body tense up a little - not the most relaxing of experiences for me personally. I finally had to ask her to stop the massage when she brought the towel back out and then proceeded to massage my scalp. That hurt like nobody's business... she was understanding and that was the end of my only Thai massage experience. The other girls enjoyed their experience and went back for several more... so maybe it was just me. I prefer Swedish style myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment