Saturday, May 25, 2013

Heartstrings 35.0: first world problems... and movies!

This is going to be one of those stupid "first world problems" posts to start off... I have spent this entire weekend trying to figure out summer plans. Do you have any idea how exhausting it is to figure out 3 weeks back in the states between Texas, Nebraska, and Ohio and then trying to figure out your summer in the UK on top of that. Lots of planning and ideas-a-spinnin'-around!

So far though, I have some important things planned:
  • Oxford for 3 days - gonna go see where C.S. Lewis and Tolkein roamed about doing brilliant things; see the church Lewis attended and where he is also buried; have a go at Lewis and Tolkein's homes where they wrote so many amazing things; and then spend a day at Warwick Castle and/or Costwolds. Happiness!
  • Downton Abbey tour booked... yes, that's right. My inner nerd will be let out on August 13th. I got one of the last two spots for the YEAR to go see where Downton is filmed. Score!
  • Harry Potter Studios... releasing the inner nerd again. Gonna go play with some wizards and stuff! 
  • Bath: will be spending 2 days in the Roman Baths and Jane Austen-ville! Love!
  • Oh, and can't forget! Shows!!! Gonna go see Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables (possibly the Lion King?!?) So many choices!
Eventually, I'd like to make my way up to Edinburgh for the Military Tattoo Festival, and possibly see some of the Scottish Highlands if time allows. I'd love to head over to Chester (Wales) for a day or so and see that, maybe see Liverpool, and the Lake District; but all of that is up in the air. Time is not a good friend when planning a vacation!

.........Rant over.........

There is (hopefully) one more week of school with the boys left. We're really hoping they stop coming after the end of this week, but officially the last day is the 13th of June. Last day for teachers is July 4th... yep, July, friggin, fourth! What the hey are we supposed to do at school during that time you ask?!? Watch movies, socialize, appear to be "professionally developing" ourselves.

I just survived a week of tonsillitis... went to Dubai last weekend for a wine tasting event (in which I learned that I am not the biggest fan of wine). I kept getting light-headed during the event, but figured it was due to wine/lack of food. Had the same feeling the next night though at the Irish Village (in which I had no alcohol). Had a few headaches and just attributed it to dust kicking around. On my way back from Dubai (where I was left stranded in the middle of the night and had to catch a shared cab back to A.D. thanks, Cathy, lol!) it all caught up to me. I spent the next 4 days on my couch sleeping and in lots of pain. Tonsillitis sucks... that's for sure. Fever, achy-ness, can't swallow, lack of energy... ugh. But I got 3 days off of work. Went back on Wednesday (still felt like crud the next two days) but my boys were good. We watched lots of movies and Ben 10. They were happy :)

Speaking of movies... went and saw a few before/after I felt bad. Here's my attempt at being a movie critic:
  • Iron Man 3: Robert Downey, Jr. can do no wrong. Piper in an Iron Man suit... love. I don't want to give away too much of the movie but I did think it was a good movie. Not as great as I was expecting (or as the other 2), but it didn't disappoint. Can't leave it there though... you just can't. 
  • Star Trek: Into Darkness: my first movie in Dubai... I liked it a lot. Wasn't as funny as the first one; but it was still enjoyable. I liked Cumberbatch (oh, Sherlock!) as the evil dude, Khan. He played it well. And I just love this new Spok. He is just hilarious. And Kirk, well, he's just a good looking man so :)
  • Fast & Furious 6: yep, went and saw that this weekend. Again, I liked it. It was cheesy and there was horrible acting. Don't even get me started on the plane/car scene and how unrealistic it all is. And yes, there are 500 million of them; but for some reason, I can't get enough. I'm ready for 7 and 8... 
  • Great Gatsby is next on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment