Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Heartstrings 23.0: forever changed

Day Three in Jordan was hands down the most spiritual journey I have ever walked in my lifetime. While I was there, it was a surreal feeling and something I knew would hit me like a ton of bricks later on when I was back in the UAE. Weeks later, I still can't believe I have been to these places. When I walk by a bottle of water that I filled up from the Jordan River, it sinks in that this is where Jesus was baptized... somewhere in that river.

Sometimes I just can't even fathom how this is my life right now...

Standing at Sea Level for the last time this afternoon


On the bus... this is the hill where Elijah ascended into heaven (2 Kings 2:8-11). So wish I had brought my Bible with me to read the scripture in this moment. iPhone Bible app does not work without the internet :/
One of the four old church's built between the 4th-6th century on St Elijah's Hill just above the river



My first view of the Jordan River... my first thought: "wow, this is smaller than I imagined it being."

This was a mosaic that depicted the baptism and the river before an earthquake changed the river's path. The site was not discovered until a peace treaty was signed with Israel in 1996 (well, the treaty was signed in '94). The site is still being excavated due to the landmines in the area. You have to stay on the path with the tour ground due to the uncertainty around the area still. It just opened up in 2011 for the public.



Couldn't help but just stand here in awe... There is more evidence that points to this being the site where Jesus was baptized as opposed to Israel... but either way, the actual site or not, it was an incredible experience to try to visualize the moment as I stood here. Couldn't help but feel a little emotional either... Little historical knowledge, Pilgrims as far back as 333 described visiting Bethany Beyond the Jordan. In 530 there was a marble pillar built here with an iron cross fastened on it.

the site of an old church built in the 6th century... later pilgrims referred to this as a small church that was said to have been built “on the place where the Lord’s clothes were placed."

Greek Orthodox Church of St John the Baptist at Bethany Beyond the Jordan--heard this was built in 2003. It's right by the entrance to the Jordan River.

lookin' into Israel from across the Jordan River (it was literally RIGHT there!) And of course, this is where Israel says that Jesus was baptized--on the Israeli side (so at least I've got both checked off--just in case ;)

singing a little worship music alongside the riverside as people were getting baptized.

soaking the feet in the river... a little boy fell in here and one of the guys that was on the tour with us said, "that was the Holy Spirit baptizing him," lol

After we left Bethany Beyond the Jordan, we headed to the Dead Sea. The Sea is 1,388 ft below sea level and 1,237 ft deep... I couldn't believe it was that deep!

Superman style in the Dead Sea... which is so salty it looks like oil is floating around in the water. The Dead Sea is like 8 times saltier than the ocean... so imagine having an open cut or getting splashed in the eye (or a taste of it on accident like I did... it burned my lips!)

The locals say that this is the possible place of the Garden of Eden and Sodom and Gomorrah. I can see that. It's stunning.

30 kilometers south of this site is a "pillar" of salt... wonder who they believe that just might be?

After swimming for about an hour, a nice enough lunch, and having super soft skin... Sam informed us that he would take us up to Mount Nebo for free! I was stoked! Thanks Andrea for agreeing to go with! :)

The view from atop Mount Nebo where Moses looked into the Promised Land for the first time. It's 2680 feet above sea level.

If I remember correctly, an Italian artist made this staff-cross out of metal to honor Moses

view of Mount Nebo from the car on our way back to Amman to pay Laura at Discover Jordan for our tour

So in a picture nutshell, these are the wonders I was able to experience in my short time in Jordan. If I were to ever go back (this is a possibility, it's such a lovely country), I would go back to see Petra and see more of the Dead Sea area. 

This journey is something I hope I never forget. I came back home so excited about just being there and taking steps through the Bible that I couldn't help but come home and refresh my memories of the stories I couldn't remember or tell fully. 

For the first time I was finally able to somewhat wrap my head around where things happened in the Bible (the Old Testament especially). Looking at maps never helped it to sink in (I always had to go back to the map and look at it again... and again which always confused me more...) but after being in these places, I took one look at a Jordanian map and suddenly, things were clicking. I read a lot of scripture after that (especially Moses' journey out of Egypt and through this area) and I could finally picture the journey in my head.

It floors me that these men were able to do what they did over these terrains. They don't look too big until you start making your way up them. On the car ride up Nebo, I couldn't help but tell Andrea, if God told me to climb this mountain to see the Promised Land for the first time, I might have to skip out on that one. It's a killer... and no water anywhere around. I am in complete awe for how people lived so many years ago and the faith they learned to have in God to provide for them in such a desolate environment.


No comments:

Post a Comment